Over half of all home heating fires occur in December, January, and February. Additionally, $2 billion in property loss occurs from winter home fires.
If you're concerned about fire safety this winter, complete this simple checklist to ensure you have a safe holiday season:
- Have you tested your smoke alarms?
- Have you tested your carbon monoxide alarms?
- Have you gotten your furnace professionally inspected?
- Have you checkedy your appliances for worn or damaged cords?
- Have you checked your dryer exhaust vent for lint buildup?
TOO HOT TO HANDLE
- Do your portable space heaters have an automatic shutoff?
- Is there at least three feet of space between space heaters and other objects?
- Do you turn space heaters off overnight or when unattended?
- Are your space heaters plugged directly into an outlet?
- Do your children know to stay 3 feet away from any speace heater?
- Do you always use a fire guard in front of a burning fire?
JUST IN CASE
- Have you made and practiced a fire escape plan?
- Do you have a fire extinguisher handy?
- Do your children know how to dial 911?
- Are your house numbers easily visible?
- Have you packed an emergency supply kit in your home?